The Kommunity Desk Company’s patented Kommunity Desk© product was created to service one primary objective – to provide classroom desks to African children who attend school without this critically important piece of education infrastructure. To date we have provided more than 1 million African children with their very own desk, and the time has now arrived to escalate our work to scale across the African continent.
The Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu 2015 TutuDesk Campaign Centres have been established in Cape Town and Johannesburg under the leadership of Dan Vaughan, Archbishop Tutu’s advisor and Shane Immelman, the founder of The Kommunity Desk Company© and Kommunity Group Projects©.
The Archbishop Tutu 2015 Outreach Campaign (‘the Campaign’) initiative is the culmination of 18 months of research, development and planning, and is the core driver of The Kommunity Desk Company’s work for the next 5 years for the period 2011 to 2015. The Campaign is being personally led by Archbishop Tutu, the objective of which is to provide 20 million South African and African children with special edition Kommunity Desks known as TutuDesks©, by the end of 2015.
The Campaign Centres run independently as a nonprofit organization(Section 21).
Our research, supported by UNESCO reporting, shows a classroom desk shortage of over 90 million desks in Africa, with South Africa experiencing a classroom desk shortage in excess of 3 million desks. The figure of 20 million TutuDesks© provides a critical mass for addressing this challenge turning the corner in literacy development for children in Africa, and in particular, primary school learners.
Our experience is that a provision of 20 - 25% of the existing need for writing surfaces has the potential to fundamentally change learning outcomes en masse.
With the Archbishop agreeing to personally lead the Campaign outreach, we have been privileged to realise the perfect catalyst to encompass all of these important sectors who need to participate in making the Campaign goals a reality. We have, in order to also meet donor requirements, positioned the Campaign with the universally accepted focus of donor organisations and development agencies globally: The Millennium Development Goals (MDG’s).
The TutuDesk© / Kommunity Desk© is the only initiative that is unequivocally able to assist with 5 of the 8 MDG’s
Achieve universal primary education
- As an infrastructure provision (ie. Kommunity Desk© being a mobile classroom desk) , the Kommunity Desk addressing universal primary education is self evident.
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Gender equality and empowerment of women is promoted through Kommunity Desk© imprinting and knowledge transfer on a foundational level
- Combat HIV / AIDS malaria and other diseases
- Disease identification, management, treatment and prevention are printed on the Kommunity Desk© for foundational education.
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Environmental care are promoted through information imprinted messaging on the surface of the Kommunity Desk©.
- Develop a global partnership for development
- The development of global partnerships is facilitated by the donor’s Kommunity Desk© investment supporting MDG’s in countries desperately requiring assistance in uplifting their education system and infrastructure.